Tips to Save Money on the Utility Bill in your Laundromat
Every business owner is looking for ways to save money and a great place to start is taking a deeper look at the utility bill in your laundromat. Nearly six billion gallons of water are wasted per day in the United States, according to the Center for Neighborhood Technology, meanwhile energy efficient machines can save as much as 75 percent less energy and several other factors you can control will help you save money on the utility bill in your laundromat.
It’s important to analyze your utility bill to find problem areas before tackling every item on the list – some preventative maintenance tasks are easier to handle on your own while the experts at BDS Laundry Systems can help you find the best energy efficient commercial laundry equipment to meet your needs:
- HVAC: Clogged vents cause HVAC units to work harder translating to higher energy usage and utility bill rates. Make it part of your routine to clear vent blockages caused by dirt or dust on a regular basis and to replace filters at least once every three months. During hot summer months use fans to move the air around which will also help reduce the strain on the HVAC system.
- New, more efficient equipment: If the commercial laundry equipment in your coin laundry is more than five years old you can greatly benefit from the latest innovations in newer machines. Every manufacturer boasts new energy efficient solutions like shorter drying times, lower dryer temperatures and colder water temperatures, one that sticks out is Electrolux and Wascomat’s newest drain valve design.
- Automatic lighting and thermostat: This may seem like a simple solution but it’s often forgotten when assembling a coin laundry. Installing automatic interior or exterior security lights plus thermostats can help you better estimate monthly utility costs and eliminate the potential for human error when closing up for the night. Pro Tip: Although LED bulbs come with a high initial price tag the savings overtime are exceptional plus LED bulbs can last up to 50,000 hours compared to a mere 1,200 hours for incandescent bulbs.
- Seal the store: Reduce the amount of air drafts leaving the building by creating an air-tight seal in all doors and windows with weather-stripping and caulk from your local hardware store.
- Make-up air: Make-up air replaces air lost through the dryers exhaust. Providing the right amount of make-up air is important when conditioned air is used to heat and cool your laundromat.
BDS Laundry Systems coin laundry team knows all types of efficiency tips and tricks to help you save money on your monthly utility bill. Give us a call at 800-688-8820 or contact us online to start a conversation today.